Before lighting fireworks – “Be Prepared!”
Purchase only legal fireworks. Purchase only the quantity that you will use. Ensure the safety of pets. Keep a bucket of water nearby in which to place all used fireworks. Have a water hose or fire extinguisher nearby to put out stray sparks. Clear a level area away from things that can burn. Know the emergency number to call (9-1-1), your address/location and basic first aid. Teach your children to “stop, drop and roll” if their clothes catch fire.
Only adults should light fireworks. Use eye protection and wear safety goggles. Light only one device at a time. Keep spectators at a safe distance. Use only outdoors, away from anything that can burn. To prevent injuries, follow the directions on the label carefully. Be considerate of your neighbors, family pets and your environment.
When Finished – “Be Responsible!”
Clean up all debris when finished. Duds can be dangerous; if a device does not light or fire, an adult should wait at least 5 minutes, approach it carefully and place it in a bucket of water. Make sure unused fireworks, matches and lighters are out of sight and reach of children.
Independence Day is a time to celebrate our freedoms. Please, “Be Prepared”, “Be Safe”, and “Be Responsible” when using fireworks.
Our local ordinance conforms to State Statutes (s 167.10) which restricts illegal fireworks within the village limits. A ticket could cost you $118.00.
These are examples of legal fireworks –
- A sparkler on a wire or wood stick not exceeding 36 inches in length that is designed to produce audible or visible effects or to produce audible and visible effects.
- A device designed to spray out paper confetti or streamers and which contains less than one-quarter grain of explosive mixture.
- A fuseless device that is designed to produce audible or visible effects or audible and visible effects, and that contains less than one-quarter grain of explosive mixture.
- A device that is designed primarily to burn pyrotechnic smoke-producing mixtures, at a controlled rate, and that produces audible or visible effects, or audible and visible effects.
- A cylindrical fountain that consists of one or more tubes and/or a cone fountain where the contents only emit sparks but do not produce a loud bang.
Anything that leaves the ground or makes a loud noise would be illegal fireworks. Please review this web site from the Wisconsin Department of Justice for more information. WI DOJ
The Wrightstown Police Department ask your cooperation in preventing any injuries or damage due to fireworks. Enjoy the holiday and make it fun for everyone.