aerial-wrightstownWrightstown is one of the oldest communities in Wisconsin. Founder, Hoel S. Wright came to Wisconsin in 1833 as a surveyor for much of northeastern Wisconsin. He opened a trading post and ferry service for the local inhabitants and called his settlement Bridgeport. He also supported efforts to make the Fox River more navigable so that his settlement could develop into a thriving commercial center. The Brown County Board of Supervisors recognized his efforts in 1854 by naming the township after him.

Carl G. Mueller arrived in the Village of Wrightstown from Germany in 1856. Working as a clerk for Wright, he succeeded to Wright’s many business interests. He opened a general store, sawmill and brewery, and donated money to both the local Lutheran and Catholic churches. In 1871 he purchased and refurbished the Wright home for his family, and he and his descendants lived in the home until 1968.

The Mueller-Wright House is the repository of the accumulated history of the Village of Wrightstown and the surrounding towns of Brown County. It’s collection of artifacts, documents and photos help tell the story of the area from Wright’s arrival in the 1830’s until today.


Museum Hours   

Sundays Noon to 3pm, June thru September
Wednesdays 2pm to 5pm, May thru mid-December
Contact Info
Wrightstown Historical Society
PO Box 297
Wrightstown 54180
Phone: (920) 532-4381 |  Email: WHistoricalS@new.rr.com
Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/wrightstown.history/
Contact Sue Martin 920-619-8092 with further questions about the history of Wrightstown.
The mission of the Wrightstown HIstorical Society is to preserve, exhibit and share the cultural history, artifacts and sites in the Wrightstown area with the community.

Publications for Sale:
Village on the Fox: Historical Sketches of Wrightstown and Southern Brown County and Wrightstown Remembered: More Historical Sketches of Wrightstown and Southern Brown County by Ruth Roebke-Berens & John Berens are $20 each and can be purchased at the museum or by calling (920) 619-8092.

Governing Board Officers

  • President – Vacant
  • Vice President – Vacant
  • Treasurer – Bonnie Van De Hey
  • Secretary – Carol Koomen
  • Historian – John Berens
  • Archivist – Sue Martin  (920-619-8092)
  • Curator – Bonnie Van De Hey


  • Kathy Roebke
  • Nan VanderHeiden
  • Sue Christensen
  • Carol Koomen
  • Sue Martin


Artifacts from the Mueller Wright House museum collection are included in the Wisconsin Decorative Arts online database. You can view them by clicking here.


The website of the Wisconsin Historical Society features a wealth of digital resources, including the Dictionary of Wisconsin History, with over 8,000 entries on Wisconsin people, places, things, and events; and a wide range of online exhibitions from the Wisconsin Historical Museum.